While the idea of packing your own belongings is tempting, sometimes it’s best left to the professionals.
However, if you decide to do your own packing use the 10 Packing and Moving Tips below to make your move stress free.
- Sort through your things to figure out what you need and what you don’t need.
You can donate, recycle the items or have a garage sales to get rid of them.
- Create a ‘to do’ list so you don’t forget anything important, for example notifying companies of your new address, picking up moving boxes and packing supplies etc.
- Make a simple numbered list of items in each box and mark each one with the corresponding number and do the same on the boxes themselves. You could also categorize the items and color code them with colored markers. This will make finding and sorting items so much easier when unpacking them.
- Get an assortment of moving boxes, such as small, medium, large sized and light and durable boxes.
- Label the boxes on all sides including the top because if they are stacked on top of each other you won’t be able to see the labels.
- Pack similar items together for example put kitchen utensils with items from the kitchen. Don’t mix kitchen items with bedroom items.
- Put heavy items in small, durable boxes to make the lifting easier.
- Don’t over-pack the boxes because it could result in the boxes breaking and damaging your goods.
- User newspaper or cloth to wrap fragile items before placing into the boxes and label the box Fragile.
- Pack an overnight bag containing all you essentials such as toiletries, a clean change of clothes or laptop. You will want your essentials within easy reach that first night.